Irymple South Primary School No. 3702 History
Need For A School
On 13th April 1908 a petition signed by 22 parents requesting the Education Department to see fit to open a school in the neighbourhood.
The area was situated over 21/2 miles from the nearest school and this was deemed "a distance far too great for young children to travel, especially when weather is inclement". Many children, were prevented from attending school for this reason.
The population in this outlying portion of the settlement was rapidly increasing.
Mr H. W. Gaer, Chairman and Mr H. Paul, Correspondent of the School District No. 393, Board of Advice forwarded the letter on behalf of the residents.
Mr J Lowry, stated that 39 children were likely to attend, and recommended a full-time school.
The District Inspector, Mr J. Lowry corresponded with the Secretary, Education Department, Melbourne after inspection of a site "at the intersection of Fifteenth Street and Belar Avenue Mildura", which he considered very suitable.
At this stage Mr Lowry had been unable to negotiate a sale "from the agent for the debenture holders in the estate of Chaffey Bros Limited".
Three names were recommended for the school "(a) Irymple South, (b) Chaffey, or (c) Belar".
A plan of the locality was included showing existing and proposed school and the position of residences of interested families.
Shire of Mildura Council Minutes
Dated November 11th 1908
"Board of Advice asking for school Irymple South. Secretary to inquire whether Department will build the school if land is purchased, and in the event of a reply to the effect, Council to purchase a suitable site cost of same to be deducted from the works schedule of the Sandalong Riding." (Paul & Pegler)
"Education Department re: Irymple South School Site, resolved that Engineer survey land offered by Gothorp, 3 acres @ 10 pounds per acre, and the Secretary to write Education Department forwarding plan showing land offered and asking for the approval."
"Secretary explained that a reply letter had been received from the Department asking for particulars of proposed site and it was decided to enquire if other sites were available before council meeting."
"The engineer reported that it would be difficult to Irrigate the piece offered for sale by Mr Gothorp. The Secretary reported that Mr J. Forbes had offered three acres of lot 3-99-F for a school site. The Committee after considering the matter decided that Secretary write Mr Gray M.L.A. a letter explaining the present position and ask him to interview the Titles Department and urge immediate action in transferring the land."
The land purchased was 3 acres of Lot 1, Section 95, Block F, Parish of Mildura. County of Karkarooc.
The new brick building 26' 6" x 21' costing 515 pounds was completed on the 6/11/1911.
13/3/1912 The first School Committee was appointed.
44 Children on the roll.
08/9/1920 New windmill to be erected.
03/6/1921 Open air room was found to be unsuitable for winter.
Ladies Committee was formed at a meeting convened by the Head Teacher.
23/06/1924 Department to be approached regarding various works renovating and painting interior of orginal brick room, provision of brick outhouses and an incinerator and repairs of pavilion room.
6/02/1925 Department to be notified of damage being caused by white ants in the portion of the new classroom.
17/05/1928 2 pound and 2 shillings be given to Head Teacher for the purchase of library books.
18/09/1929 An appeal was made to parents to raise funds to assist the "Shrine Of Remembrance Appeal".
1/08/1930 School floors were in places white ant eaten. A man to be employed to clean school block.
12/06/1931 Mr Mayne to transport football and basketball teams to matches 10 students at a time.
25/07/1932 Next dance be altered to Euchre and Dance.
13/06/1933 Direct giving to be introduced.
A new School Curriculum introduced.
Mr McLean commenced duty as Tempory Head Teacher.
14/12/1945 Picnic Day at Sandalong Park.
12/12/1946 Picnic Day at Sandalong Park. Mothers Club conducted Christmas Tree.
12/12/1947 Picnic Day at Sandalong Park.
27 on Mothers Club Roll.
Mothers Club spent 12 pound on gifts.
27/7/1951 Mrs Howells President of the Victorian Federation of Mothers Clubs was present at Mothers Club meeting. Mrs S Birch was presented with a long service certificate for 22 years of service with the Irymple South School Mothers Club.
31/7/1952 School sports at Cardross.
17/9/1953 Mothers Club 30th Birthday ay M. U. Hall, Irymple at 2.30pm. Musical entertainment. The traditional two tier cake was cut.